Saturday, March 25, 2006

Puppy Tales and Soapboxes


This has been the longest 3 weeks of my life. I keep forgetting that Atlas was just diagnosed with Addison's Disease on March 7th. I've been a bit anxious and wringing my hands a little lately, wondering I am doing the right treatment for him? Are all the supplements he's on really helping or should I just stick to what's been studied and proven (like I really trust the FDA...ha!)? If other dogs on Percorten and glucs have good appetites, what is wrong with Atlas, am I doing something wrong? Well, I think I answered that last question today. I was advised to put Atlas on a diet where the only protein source was fish. Confucius say "Atlas have too much heat in his body and need cool food. Fish is cool food, you feed dog fish." Ancient Chinese secret. When we first started out, he was still getting rid of the Dexamethasone and on the higher dose of Hydrocortisone so his appetite was a little bit better, but not great. I was still having to put chicken, salmon, wet cat food, or crumbled dog food roll to get him to eat. Or was he holding out for those things?? Hmmm...he has been known to do that. Sneaky. Lately, the only way I can really get him to eat the fish kibble is to sprinkle crumbled Natural Balance dog food rolls or some other "real" meat over it. I don't think he really likes the fish kibble, however, he'll eat a piece of fish. Another thing that makes you go hmmm? He's either playing me or really has an aversion to processed fish food. Well, I tested this theory by putting straight fish kibble in his bowl tonight...sniff, sniff, walks away and goes to his brother's bowl and eats some of that. Ok, redirect him to his bowl, add a bit of what Cole has and he digs in! AH-HA! Got your number now, buddy! I will still give him his "fun foods" in addition to kibble b/c I have to hide his meds in something. I also believe in supplementing with other quality real foods that aren't processed like dry kibble. Ideally, I would like them both on a species appropriate diet of fresh meat, bones, and bits of vegetation. I have never been happy with his diet, but picked the best processed food I could afford. I am big into diet, exercise, supplements (if needed), and getting the body back to how it's designed to work. While I do enjoy an occasional fast food meal(which is usually Subway), my diet is pretty simple and clean, boring to some. Lots of raw veggies, grilled chicken, grilled steak, fish, yogurt, fresh fruits, and Ezekiel bread. I am sure you are saying she is a bit of a wierdo...maybe, but I feel good and my digestion has never been better (we won't go there). So, in return, I believe that animals should get back to a more species appropriate diet. Processed kibbles are full of the ground up unusable left over parts (by products)of animals (including beaks and claws), fillers of corn and wheat, and then stuck together with preservatives..don't forget the coloring to make it prettier...and then we dish it out and Fido is supposed to enjoy and stay healthy? I don't think so. From the very beginning of Atlas' life with us, I have researched diets. Raw diets are the #1 recommended. I knew that a raw diet was not something that I could keep up, nor afford. Pounds of raw meat and bones everyday? While I would've loved to provide it, I was of the mindset that it might take a small fortune to feed a dog of Atlas' proportions. Perhaps, I just didn't do enough research on it. So, we researched dry kibble and what to look for as desirable and undesirable and chose Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice Adult Food. When we adopted Cole, I got on the diet kick again due to the fact that Cole was very gassy and a bit skinny (in all fairness, he was 11 months old and was neutered at 9 months of age so he didn't get the full use of his male hormones like Atlas did so he wasn't as muscular as I was used to). I researched and came across www.greatdanelady.com . I chose to follow her supplement routine she recommended and keep the food the same. I REALLY wanted to use a food she recommended also, but due to finances, I stuck with what I was feeding already. I definitely saw an improvement in Cole, whether it was the food or the supplements or both, I can't say for sure, but his gas became less frequent and less smelly and his haunches filled out more (could also be attributed to the fact that Danes grow and mature until 20 months, we exercise everyday, and the fact that he runs like a Greyhound!). Inspite of the supplementation, I still never felt like I was doing enough. As a result, here I am, back on the diet kick! I have Cole switching to Nutro Ultra Holisitic (still not on Dane Lady's list...damn!), Atlas on Natural Balance, and they both eat some of both! Dr. HOLISTIC (names have been changed to protect the identity of "innocents") wants to switch foods every couple months or so..guess we'll see. As long as everyone's gut can handle it, then I don't have a problem with it. I think they would enjoy the change too. Imagine eating the same thing over and over, day to day? No wonder they like treats so much! Aside from the kibble, there are BARF diets (Bones And Raw/Real Food), supplementation, commercially prepared wet foods, home cooked meal recipes!! AAAAH! Enough to drive one mad! There are those total proponents, total opponents, and then there are those who straddle the fence and supplement kibble with raw or cooked meals. I guess it comes down to read the information, glean and sort through it all, weigh the pros and cons, do what you feel is best and what your bank account allows, and see the results. In my opinion, I think that many health issues are created b/c we give processed foods that lack in so many vital vitamins, minerals, various meat proteins, essential fatty acids, etc. While products claim they add certain minerals, vitamins, EFAs, etc. these products are either from some unknown source, poorly absorbed, or damaged/destroyed in the prep and processing of the food. In my opinion (and it's ONLY an OPINION), if I choose to feed my best friend a diet of dry, processed kibble, I think I owe it to him/her to #1 choose the best quality food that I can afford and #2 supplement what he/she isn't getting. That could be through commercially prepared pills, powders, or liquids from well researched, quality sources, fresh meats, uncooked bones, homecooked "gourmutt" meals, etc. Health begins in the gut! Processed food..while convenient..is no longer natural. Your body was not meant to process preservatives, additives, colorings, etc. It'll adapt, but don't be surprised when it fights back! Yes, there are some diseases that are just hereditary and you can't avoid them, Addison's is thought to be one of them. Who knows? All I can do now is support my big boy through this and give him the best of everything. Hold on, I'm climbing down from my soapbox....on to today's events!
Phew! Let me catch my breath! Today was a good day. We all started out slow. Atlas began the day as his same old mopey, "I am not a morning dog" self. He has ALWAYS been that way (takes after his muthuh!). We get out of the bed, he'll reluctantly get up, go outside to pee, and usually go plop (literally) his big ole booty on the couch! He won't stay there all day, but it's at least 10 before he wants to do anything. Today, he had to at least get up to start taking his meds. On the menu this morning for Atlas was Fish Oil with a side of Pepcid, Milk Thistle, and Gastriplex a la Chicken and Rice wet cat food delicately placed over scrumptious Fish and Sweet Potato Tidbits. Cole received Fish Oil gently blanketed by Chicken and Rice moist cat food over a combination of Nutro Ultra & Natural Choice, sprinkled with Fish & Sweet Potato Tidbits. They picked out the cat food, inhaled it, and went right back to snoozing. No compliments to the chef on that one! Guess my meal prep needs some work. Around 11, I decided to try my hand at gourmet meals once again. It had been 12 hours since Atlas' last Hydrocortisone and it was time to dose again. I gathered their feeding supplies and headed back to their bowls to work my magic. Atlas got his 7.5mg of Hydrocortisone and ate his kibble with some encouragement from the 1/2 filet of tilapia I crumbled over it. Cole slowly savored his and kept coming out to check I didn't have an more "crumbles" for him. After eating, it was another snooze fest. I like them to rest and be quiet after they eat b/c of the problems with bloat that Danes can have. At one o'clock, we decided to go to Gramma Kat's and take a stroll. We got there and they came out the gates full speed! Cole went off into Coleland and kept in the bushes mostly..trying to catch something I am sure. Atlas strolled and sniffed and then all the sudden he got a wild hair and stared at Jaime's feet and got him to scuff and try and kick something up he could catch! He antagonized Jaime and engaged him in play the whole time! He dug at the ground, he pulled up some landscaping cloth and slung that around like it was alive, he ran through mud puddles! He had fire in his eyes! Ears perked, tail up! Unfortunately, play time had to end and we took them back home and went and did errands for about 4 hours. We came home and we was straight out the gate again! Took him outside to pee and he was antagonizing me, Jaime, and Cole to try to get us to chase him so he could turn and chase us. Tired of being hockey checked and playfully nipped, I went inside and got his Air Kong. He saw that his eyes lit up! He chased whomever would run with him, tugged with Jaime, Cole and me, dropped his Kong and looked at it and us as if it to say, "Come on, kick it, throw it, try and get it, I dare you!" He was all over the place. Cole got the zoomies at one point and Atlas thought, "Great, I can do that, too!" I haven't seen him that full of energy, antagonizing, and engaging another to play in a long time. We kept that up for about 30 minutes and then came in and I performed my feeding experiment. This time, AFTER he ate his kibble I supplemented him. He'll get the rest tonight with a scooby snack!
They are both knocked out right now. They both had baths, got their hair did, and their nails did, too. The Gourmutt DogBowl, a fundraiser for the Rescue Resource Foundation(www.rescueresourcefoundation.org), is tomorrow and they need their beauty rest! I am sure there will be some ladies there to impress. Time to pull out the bowties and as their Aunty Courtney (Courtnah!) would say, get spiffy!

Links for today's post:

An excellent website all about our beloved breed. Discusses general breed info, articles on diet, supplementation, diseases the breed is prone to, etc.
http://www.greatdanelady.com
http://www.danesonline.com
http://www.ginnie.com/gdlinks.htm <---includes links to info on dogs of other breeds

All about diet! There is tons of information out there and everyone has their own opinion! http://www.juliegever.com/soda/diet.htm
http://www.ginnie.com/welfare.htm
http://www.greatdanelady.com/lecture/index.htm
https://www.companionnaturalpetfood.com/why_natural.htm
http://www.api4animals.org/facts?p=359&more=1
http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/healthy_gut_basis_of_wellness.htm

No comments: