Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Hello, My name is Atlas and I have AD

<---Guest of honor at a tea party for 10 year old little girls!

What a big day I had! My mom and dad have been doing so much research about Addison's Disease that I have a feeling that I will be very well taken care of! My spirits are better today and I definitely perk up when I smell that chicken cooking or hear mom opening the tupperware! I am getting my strength back bit by bit. I am interested in playing ball and chasing ducks which more than I can say for how I felt last week! I thoroughly enjoy my rides in the truck and loved going to the pet store yesterday! Slowly but surely I am feeling like my old self.
As you all know, I got my 1st dose of Percorten-V yesterday. I received 4.75 mL (118.75mg) in my right back thigh muscle...ouch!!! Mom insisted on baseline labs and they were all normal except my liver enzyme ALT was 119 which was a bit elevated but b/c of the high dose steroids to keep me stable over the weekend that was to be expected. In addition, I was started on Prednisone 20mg once daily and Pepcid 20 mg twice daily to help protect my already sensitive stomach. Mom went to work last night and researched Addison's disease some more and alternative treatments such as herbs, etc. that may help compliment conventional steriod therapy. A little back ground on mom..she is into organics and holistics but also believes in regular conventional treatment. Mom works at MUSC Children's Hospital and is a pediatric nurse. She works with all the kids including those with cancer, endocrine disorders (which is what Addison's is), kidney disorders, etc. She is very familiar with the drugs I am taking and made sure she researched Percorten-V (it's canine exclusive) extensively before I got it so she knew what to expect as far as dosages, side effects, administration, etc. During mom's research, she found that there are dogs out there that have been given alternative holistic treatment in addition to their corticoid treatment and have had great success with it. They have been able to go longer between their Percorten-V injections and even had their dose reduced. Her research also showed that Hydrocortisone may be the better choice for glucocorticoid replacement therapy. She also talked with an endocrinologist and asked about Prednisone vs. Hydrocortisone. Hydrocortisone was the preferred drug in her opinion also. As a result, today she called the vet that has a doctor that specializes in Chinese Herbal Therapy and Acupuncture. Mom also called my regular vet to talk about switching to Hydrocortisone. She also had questions about the other treatment Florinef (instead of getting the monthly injections of Percorten-V). She just always wants the best for me and wants to know what the best approach would be. So, at 12 o'clock my mom, Cole, and I went to the vet with the holistic doctor. Surprise! Dad was there too! We met with the doctor and discussed my past history, my new history, what our goals were with holistic medicine, and then the doctor told us her approach. Her suggestions were to change my diet and get my gut healthy to start with(I have a history of sensitive stomach and several bouts of diarrhea). She also suggested herbal therapy of Milk Thistle (to help the liver b/c of the steroids), 6-gentlemen (a Chinese herb to help the gut) and Gastriplex to help the gut. I am already on a probiotic, as is Cole, and the doctor liked that and said keep with it. She said that the herbs will change over time and this is a layered process and to not expect a quick fix but rather a gradual improvement. The diet I will be eating is a fish and sweet potato diet and that will be for the next month or so. Mom chose Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. I used to be on Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice, so it was suggested that since my digestive system has been sensitive in the past and has been hit with antibiotics and high dose steroids this past week that we ease into the change. Mom grilled salmon tonight and mixed that with chicken and rice and the new kibble. I was having loose stools all week b/c my diet has been so off and the meds have been high doses, but today I have been having more formed stools. My brother is getting switched to Nutro Holistic for adults. Maybe eventually I will eat that too, but for right now we are going with the doctors suggestions. I had acupuncture today too. We go back to her 2-4 weeks and to my other vet in 2 weeks for blood work. All my doctors are aware of one another and aware of the other's treatments. Here are a few links on Addison's disease that mom felt helpful:
www.addisondogs.com
www.k9addisons.com
http://www.shannonwilkinson.com/WholeDogJournal.htm

No comments: