Wednesday, May 17, 2006

"Yeah, my husband is gonna want that dent fixed..."

Mom is guest blogging today! Enjoy!
The lady that hit Cole called our house. She stopped by Mom and Bonus Dad's house last night and Bonus Dad about got mad at her until she said "I cried and cried about hitting that dog" and then he gave our home number and said, "They are responsible pet owners you shouldn't have a problem." So when we stopped by our house today, this is the message we received on our machine:

"Hi, this is (insert name here), the lady that your dog ran out in front of. I got an estimate on the damages to my car and just wanted to get together so we could get this thing taken care of. My number is...thanks, bye."

So, I called her back (I figured this would be a good lesson in patience and humility for me). She answered:

Her: hello?

Me: Hi, Mrs. (insert her name here), This is Chana (I said my last name).

Her: (silence)

Me: This is Chana, the one with the dog...you hit.

Her: Oh yes...I'm glad your dog is doing ok, I was so upset, but he just ran out in front of me and there was nothing I could do. I would never want to hurt an animal. {Well, thank God she added that b/c I thought she may go around hitting dogs for fun.} I got home though and saw the dent in my car and got so angry b/c this car is new and only has 4,000 miles on it.{ok, it took all I had not to say are you f'ing kidding me??}

Me: Uh-huh...{silence}.....ok, well, whatever, you said something about an estimate.

Her: Yes, I have the estimate and just want to get together and show you guys so we can get this taken care of. I don't want to put it on my insurance b/c I don't want my insurance to go up b/c this wasn't my fault. {WTF??...it wasn't anyone's fault....it was an ACCIDENT...and YOU hit MY dog and I haven't asked for one cent for medical bills...had this been a child this would be completely different...might as well be a child though...he is MY child..my hubby and I=no kids}

Me: Uh huh...whatever....tell me the figure and i will get with insurance. We are on vacation until Sunday so we will have to get back to you.

Her: Ok, the damage was estimated at $998.72 from Norton-Richardson in Summerville. We have been taking our cars there for years and they are good {like I really care about the work they do} but if your insurance wants me to go somewhere else then I will {damn right you will..do you have choice if you want it paid for?}

Me: Uh-huh, ok well, we'll see. We may want Star Motor Service to look at it b/c my husband used to work there and we are tight with the owner and may be able to get a different estimate, but we'll see.
Her: Ok. This is a new Inifiniti (like I care?) and it's not going to be cheap to fix.

Me: {I was steaming by this point and calmly but in a very hard and slightly sarcastic tone said}..Well, Star works on Mercedes so I think that you'll be ok.

Her: ok.

Me: Ok then...we are on vacation so we'll talk to you when we get back.

Her: ok...look forward to hearing from you.

Yeah, it was a good lesson for me. I was a good girl..surprised??? Insurance is handling it from here. I so want and wanted to say something to her...but I'm not going to..I'm just going to let it be...but if I ever see her again...Lord help her and her car. New Infiniti...who cares? Why do you even throw that tidbit in there? Like I really care about the car...my dog is a living, breathing thing with staples in his leg, road rash, and a scraped up booty. I just said "uh-huh" alot and got off the phone..insurance said I did good. I am proud of me, too.

15 comments:

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

What if the dog died?

You should have ignored her!

She should be giving thanks to God, she did not hit a child.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry your dog was injured, and hope he'll be 100%, soon.

However, I also think it's really irresponsible to walk your dog off the leash in a populated area.

Walking a dog off the leash is equivalent to not holding a toddlers's hand . A hard (and expensive) lesson, but, hopefully, a valuable one.

Chana said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chana said...

funny thing, there anonymous commenter.....I am sure you did not read the complete story on what happened and where we actually were....if so, you would change your tune really fast. So, next time, get your facts straight...then comment...

Anonymous said...

Oops, my mistake. I was sure you said you were in a quiet cul-de-sac with occasional traffic from boaters and a few cars that might be looking for a place to turn around.

Silly of me to think that even light traffic could be a danger to a pet.

Anonymous said...

Dogs are dogs and things happen to even the best owners. I really get irritated with anonymous writers who want to lecture without knowing the story.
You are the essence of patience. I would have gone through the phone and choked her.

Carina said...

If she doesn't want her insurance to pay for it, why on earth does she pay for insurance....? (I've always wondered about that - you pay for it, you should use it!)

Chana said...

Well, I guess the fact that my husband was in the garage, in the process of leashing and pup saw another dog and ran, we are still at fault and got what we deserve?It's an accident, it happens....I see you pass judgement on others and think you are never wrong and could do better, so therefore, keep on living in your little world where nothing bad ever happens....

Blueyes said...

I'm really sure that lady cried and cried. I wonder if she even asked how he was doing before she said my husband wants the dent fixed. She has insurance, hers should pay for it. Heck I'll bet you can't even SEE that dent. And as for Norton-Richardson in S'ville, they're a ripoff. They over charge its unreal. I had a car taken to them and then took it away cuz of the estimate they gave.

Jen said...

It's interesting how people post as "anonymous" when they're going to disagree, or be diagreeable.
I figure if you're going comment on someone's blog, it better be something you'd be willing to say to a person's face in their living room. If you feel the need to say something that you don't want to attach your name to, that's a good sign you probably just shouldn't be saying it.

Even if you're on a different blog system and have to post as Anonymous, you can still leave your blog URL, unless you're hiding...

Chana said...

We all know they are hiding....it's ok....I know the details..I know what happened and it was truly an accident...dogs run after things and they don't have the foresight to say "Oh there might be a car" and we don't have crystal ball to see that the one car that comes down that road would be there at that moment....

Anonymous said...

you are a better person than I. Personally, I would give her the vet bill (hopefully it is larger than the repair bill) and tell her to make up the differnce. Your dog could have been killed or worse...left alive but seriously injured. Good luck with the lady

Anonymous said...

Hey, no judgment from me so don't misunderstand. I love dogs! Just something I thought of while reading your post.

I think in the state where I live, you would have gotten a ticket for the dog being off its leash at all. I don't believe we are allowed any exceptions where I live. The lady might even be able to sue you for the damage to her car since the dog was not leashed.

Sure, it was an accident your dog was loose, but it was also an accident that the lady hit your dog. Live and let live.

Hope your doggie feels better soon!!

Anonymous said...

OMFG ... that lady has some brass ones to be asking you to pay for the dent caused when SHE hit your frigging DOG ... let's see ... living being ... pile of metal and crap.

i hope she hits a deer next time ... who's gonna pay for that one, god?
(no, i don't really wish for that at all ... but geez-louise)

Chana said...

I think what people don't understand...and won't b/c they can't SEE it and you gotta see it to understand....is exactly where my mom lives and HOW this accident happened. Yes, I know about a leash law...got it....dogs are always on a leash unless we are walking around the pond and if a car was up there then they are way off the beaten path...but if a dog gets away before the leash can be applied...b/c we all know dogs don't have that consequential thinking (If i do this then this may happen)....and he runs off and meets a car in the process...well, it sucks for everyone. That's what this was in this case, not as if I was just letting my dog run around unleashed without care to what was going on. I understand I am the "parent" in this situation and must think and control for the little one I am responsible for. Lesson learned...Cole has made a full recovery.