Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Cole vs. Car...Cole wins

I had a scary day today. No, it wasn't about me for once, and I didn't have to visit the vet, but Cole did. First some background....
As you all know, Mom, Dad, Cole, and I are housesitting for my grandparents. The house is the second house on a very non-busy cul-de-sac. We are surrounded by marsh, a bird sanctuary, and undeveloped house lots. The only traffic we get is from cars turning around in the cul-de-sac or some boaters heading down the dirt road to the landing. Cole and I enjoy our off the leash walks every morning and afternoon when we are there.
Well, today, Mom was still sleeping (b/c she worked last night and had to again tonight) and Dad came home from work at 4 and took us on our walk. We went out the garage and there was a dog across the street that Cole just had to go say "hi" to. Well, bad timing, b/c there was a car coming also. She had no chance to stop and wound up hitting Cole. The lady walking the other dog told Dad, "She wasn't going that fast, " and the lady who hit him stopped to see if he was ok. He got up and limped over to Dad and he had some blood coming from his butt and a cut on his leg. Dad rushed into the house, told Mom, and loaded Cole into the truck. As dad was loading him into the car, the lady that hit Cole came back to the house, pulled into the driveway behind the truck, and said, "I just wanted you to see that I have a dent in my car and my husband will probably want it fixed." Mom was outside getting me in the house by that time and you should've seen the look on her face! I think it took all her patience to keep her mouth shut. Dad calmly said, "Ok, whatever, we will be here to the end of the week", she left, and Dad continued on to the vet and had to leave him there for evaluation.
An hour later, the vet called and said Cole's x-rays were fine, the blood from his rectum was from a really bad scrape, his laceration was stapled, and his only worrisome injury was that he was peeing blood. Could be a ruptured bladder, but he seemed to be holding urine in it and wuld probably be ok. He stayed a little longer for eval and Dad went at 6:30 to pick him up. By that time he was enjoying his pain medicine and his urine had cleared up. He is home with me, sleeping soundly. He has a bandage to his leg and his booty looks raw, but I am glad he is here with me and screw that woman's car being fixed, my brother needs fixing first!

4 comments:

Blueyes said...

Man that lady has some nerve...it was an accident geezus...

Carina said...

Oh wow, how scary!! I am so glad he's OK apart from a scraped up booty, and hope the blood in the urine thing resolves without further treatment.
And screw the woman's car. At least she stopped, but jeez.
Atlas, I am sure you'll take good care of Cole because you are a Good Dog.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the lady would dare complain about a dent in her car after she injured your dog! I would be horrified if I hit someones pet - whether it was my fault or the animals (ie excitedly running into the street).

I hope that Cole really is ok. Having external injuries is bad enough but worrying about internal ones too? :(

Sorry I didn't take you on as a renter this week. If someone has bid a few time previously I usually try to take them to be fair. If you keep bidding you will get your turn in the near future. :) (try my other site too Tricia's Musings)

Ciarra said...

that happend to my parents, my dog was running around and happen to acidentally wonder in the street, she got hit by a car and died instantly, the lady who hit her sued my parents for 3000 for the tiny dent in her car. By the time I was done with her car, she needed a whold new one....